Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information Page
The Joint Industry Board encourages you to carefully read the contents of this page and revisit it often (www.jibei.org/coronavirus), as it will serve as an essential resource for news, information, forms and documents, etc. related to the Coronavirus's (COVID-19) impact on Joint Board-related business.
Click here for the Application to withdraw funds from your 401(k) for Coronavirus-related expenses. For questions, please call 877-542-4015.
Click here to learn about changes to the Deferred Salary Plan due to the CARES Act.
Closures & Cancellations
The Electric Industry Center in Flushing - Joint Board Headquarters
Building access is limited. By appointment only. All classes in this location are suspended. Please do not visit unless you have an appointment.
JIB Medical, P.C.
Limited Medical Services are available Monday through Friday 8AM - 6:00PM. Limited Optical appointments available at this time.
Click here for Vision Benefit change. GVS temporary expansion to participants that live within the five NYC boroughs.
JIB Medical scheduling & all other inquiries can be made Monday through Friday 8AM - 5:45 PM by calling 718-591-2014.
The Electrical Industry Training Center in Long Island City
Educational and Cultural Trust Fund classes are temporarily suspended until further notice.
The Long Island Education Center
The Critical Thinking seminar is currently being conducted via Zoom. Please contact email@example.com for registration.
Changes in Operations
Educational and Cultural Trust Fund
Most of the Educational and Cultural Trust Fund classes and events are suspended/postponed, until further notice. The Pre-Retirement Seminar, Confined Space Initial, Confined Space Refresher, and Hazwoper Refresher classes are being conducted via Zoom. Also, the MTA Track Certification classes are being held at the MTA Transit Learning Center.
All Theory Classes are being conducted online via Zoom. Hands-On Classes have resumed at the Electrical Industry Training Center in Long Island City. SUNY Empire State Labor College classes are now online.
Employees who are laid off no longer have to report in person to the Joint Industry Board Employment office to become available for future employment.
You must either email the layoff slip to the Employment Department at EmploymentSlips@jibei.com or call (718) 591-2000 ext. 1490 to become available for work. You will not be added to the available for work list until you call the Employment Department or the layoff slip is received by email.
Your employer will email a copy of the layoff slip as well, to complete the process.
This policy will remain in effect until further notice.
Summary of Covid-19 Employee Benefits
- EMPLOYEES UNABLE TO WORK DUE TO THE EMPLOYEE’S COVID-19 OR FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL QUARANTINE
- 10 or fewer employees no paid sick days unless employer grossed more than $1M in 2019
- 11 to 99 employees 5 paid sick days
- 100+ employees 10 paid sick days
After exhausting all paid benefits may be eligible for Combined PFL and Disability not to exceed $2,884.62 per week.
- All employees employed by an employer with less than 500 employees are eligible up to 10 sick days at up to $511 per day.
After exhausting all sick days may be eligible for NYS Disability or Wage Replacement Day Benefits from the DSP.
- IF JOB CLOSES DUE TO COVID-19 REASON
- NYS Unemployment
- Supplementary unemployment from DSP
- IF EMPLOYEE IS NOT ALLOWED TO WORK AS A RESULT OF QUARANTINE DUE TO TRAVELING TO AN UNAPPROVED AREA FOR OTHER THAN WORK:
- Not eligible for NYS unemployment
- May be eligible for Supplementary Unemployment Benefit if allowed by Trustees similar to if exhausted Unemployment Benefits.
- Since State Quarantine is issued, Fed rule in #1 above applies.
- IF EMPLOYEE IS UNABLE TO WORK DUE TO CARING FOR A MINOR DEPENDENT CHILD SUBJECT TO QUARANTINE
- Same rules as applied above when employee is subject to quarantine.
After exhausting all paid benefits may be eligible for Family Medical Leave up to $840.70 per week for up to 10 weeks.
- Applies to persons employed by an employer with less than 500 employees.
Employer to pay up to $200 per day not to exceed 2/3 of pay for up to $2,000 in the aggregate.
- IF EMPLOYEE IS UNABLE TO WORK DUE TO CARING FOR SON OR DAUGHTER IF SCHOOL OR PLACE OF CARE IS CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19
- 2 weeks of paid sick leave, if otherwise entitled.
- Applies to persons employed for at least 30 days for an employer with less than 500 employees.
- Employer to pay up to $200 per day, not to exceed 2/3 of pay, for up to $10,000 in the aggregate
- If Employee is on paid sick leave or expanded family or medical leave the employer is to continue the group medical coverage under the same terms.
* If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 or are advised to be quarantined or isolated you MUST immediately apply to your Local Health Department to receive an Order of Mandatory or Precautionary Quarantine or Isolation. To find your local health department go to https://www.health.ny.gov/contact/contact_information/. This order must be provided to continue receiving benefits and/or be entitled to additional benefits.
Deferred Salary Plan (401k)
The CARES Act, which goes into effect April 1, will allow you to have access to additional funds in your 401(k) plan for expenses directly related to COVID-19.
Our Plan is being amended and Prudential is setting up the mechanism to allow participants to:
- Allow in-service withdrawals for “COVID-19” related withdrawals. The total aggregate withdrawals related to COVID-19 can be up to $100,000. If you are under age 59½, the normal 10% early withdrawal penalty for COVID-19 withdrawals will not apply.
The COVID-19 withdrawals are taxable income to you. However, the tax liability can be spread over the next 3 years and, to the extent you redeposit the withdrawal within three years, the tax liability is erased. Prudential will not be withholding the 20% federal tax on COVID-19 withdrawals.
- The limit on the total amount of outstanding loans has been increased from $50,000 to $100,000 and the loan can be up to 100% of your account balance.
- Upon a borrower’s request to Prudential, current existing loans may have their current payments suspended and have their amortization table extended 1 year.
- Required/Minimum Distributions:
Required Minimum Distributions that would have to be paid out for those who turned 70½ in or before 2020 are being waived for 2020.
Wage Replacement Days Increase to 30 Days
Paid Family Leave & Disability Benefits
New York State law has recently been amended to provide for Paid Family Leave (PFL) and/or Disability leave in certain circumstances due to the COVID-19 infection scenario. Please find below, the two New York State forms that must be completed to process a claim and review the instructions carefully to determine whether or not you may be eligible for benefits.
Click here for detailed information about changes in Paid Family Leave benefits.
Health Plan Benefits - PHBP & ESF
ESF -Eligible members may call the MagnaCare ESF dedicated line at 1-877-548-0138 with any questions or concerns (during normal business hours), or visit https://www.magnacare.com/coronavirus-recommendations
Telehealth visits, which are remote visits with health care professionals, using phone or video technologies, are now available to eligible participants and dependents. For more information, click here.
Extensions for COBRA and Claim Appeals (PHBP): For more information, click here.
Extensions for COBRA and Claim Appeals (ESF): For more information, click here.
Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) Plan Changes
Click here to learn about important changes to the Health Reimbursement Account Plan, due to the recently passed Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (Cares Act).
Click here for a special edition of the JIB Newsletter, featuring useful information about the Coronavirus.
Coronavirus Prevention and Response Course
The Joint Industry Board has made a Coronavirus Prevention and Response Course available to all members online. To access this course, go to the JIB Learning Management System at www.jiblearning.org and log in using your current Login Code and Password. The course can be found in the IDP section listed as "Covid 19."
If you have trouble logging in, contact the LMS helpdesk at 718-820-4144.
Text & Email Notifications
Real-time communication is vital in this day and age. To stay up to date, we recommend that you to sign-up for JIB Text & Email. Click here to sign up.